Chicken-Veggie Rolls over Quinoa
by Lauren Allen on Dec 25, 2022
This is one of my favorite meals to make and serve. Don’t be fooled by its dazzling presentation- it’s super easy to make!
It's packed with flavor and nutrients, and it's just gorgeous when you cut inside and see all those different colors and textures.
This recipe is great for those of us with PCOS because it’s a well-balanced meal that contains protein, fiber, healthy fats and complex carbohydrates in each bite! Quinoa in particular is a great whole grain to include in your diet because it’s also super high in protein and fiber, which makes the carbohydrates in the quinoa get digested more slowly. This means that your body will get the energy it needs through stable blood sugar, as opposed to spiking and crashing like when we eat refined carbohydrates.
Note: This recipe can be doubled easily, which I highly recommend doing because it’s delicious when served fresh but the leftovers with a fresh side salad are great too.
- 1/2 kilo or 1 lb. thin, boneless chicken breast
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup quinoa (I used white but red or black can be used as well)
- 2 cups water
For the marinade:
- 1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl and add chicken. Let marinate in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- In a medium pot boil water and add quinoa. Cook covered for about 15 minutes, or until quinoa is just about done (it will keep cooking in the oven).
- In a frying pan, sauté the onion for 10 minutes, then add the carrots and zucchini and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Combine the sautéed veggies and the quinoa and add to a large baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 350°F.
- Take a piece of chicken, lay it flat, and spoon some of the quinoa and veggie mixture into it and roll it up.
- Repeat with all pieces of chicken. If there is any leftover marinade, pour it over the chicken and quinoa.
- Bake covered for 30 mins and uncovered for 10, or until tops start getting golden brown and slightly crispy (but not overdone or dry-looking).