by Fran Jakubowicz on Sep 10, 2023
Dessert options can feel somewhat restricted for women managing PCOS, but there's a delicious solution at hand – baked apples. Not only do they cater to your sweet cravings, but they also come with a plethora of health benefits. These benefits encompass the fact that baked apples are rich in dietary fiber, aiding in blood sugar stabilization, a vital aspect of PCOS management. Additionally, their low glycemic index ensures a gradual impact on blood sugar, thwarting abrupt spikes and crashes. Loaded with antioxidants, particularly quercetin, they assist in mitigating inflammation, a prevalent concern in PCOS. Furthermore, apples provide essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, potassium, and an array of B vitamins, contributing to overall health. For other ways to sneak some fruit into your desserts, check out our Banana Cake recipe!
- 4 medium-sized apples (choose a variety you enjoy)
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (e.g., walnuts or almonds)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon honey or a sugar substitute of your choice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil or butter (use in moderation)
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Wash the apples and cut off the tops. Use a spoon or apple corer to scoop out the cores, creating a hollow space for the filling. Leave about 1/2 inch of the apple's bottom intact to hold the filling.
- In a bowl, combine the chopped nuts, dried cranberries or raisins, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and honey (if using). Mix well to create the filling mixture.
- Spoon the filling mixture into the hollowed-out apples, distributing it evenly among them.
- Drizzle with Coconut Oil or Butter:
- Place the filled apples in a baking dish. Drizzle melted coconut oil or butter over the top of each apple to add a touch of richness and flavor.
- Add Water and Bake:
- Pour 1/2 cup of water into the bottom of the baking dish to prevent the apples from drying out while baking.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Serve Warm