Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce and Sauteed Kale
by Lauren Allen on Jun 20, 2022
Did you think that PCOS-friendly dinners had to be boring and bland? Because they don’t!
This chicken with creamy mushroom sauce and sautéed kale is bursting with flavor but is also a great balanced meal since it’s filled with protein, leafy greens, and healthy fats, and fiber.
One of the main staples in a PCOS diet is to keep your blood sugar balanced, since unbalanced blood sugars fuel insulin resistance, which is one of the most common underlying causes of PCOS. The other nutrient-dense, anti inflammatory ingredients in this dish help combat chronic inflammation, another one of the root causes of PCOS.
Meal prep hack: Double this recipe and freeze half of it for an easy, healthy dinner or lunch on when you don’t have time to spend in the kitchen!
- ½ pound of thin chicken breast
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 3/4 cup of almond milk
- 1/2 TBSP of Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of thyme
- 2 stalks kale, washed, cut, and stems removed
- 1 cup white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Season chicken breasts with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add chicken breasts to the pan and cook for about 7 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove from pan.
- Next, add the mushrooms to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in the kale and sauté until they just start to wilt, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the almond milk, Dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, arrowroot starch, salt, pepper, and thyme to the pan. Mix until combined and thickens slightly.
- Add the chicken back into the pan and coat with sauce.
- Serve over quinoa, wild rice, or another complex carbohydrate of your choice.