by Fran Jakubowicz on May 29, 2023
This homemade granola recipe incorporates ingredients known to combat PCOS symptoms. It includes oats, which are rich in fiber and help regulate blood sugar levels, addressing the common issues of insulin resistance and instability in women with PCOS. Almonds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds contribute healthy fats, vitamin E, and omega-3 fatty acids, all of which reduce inflammation and support hormonal balance. Flaxseeds and chia seeds are rich in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids as well, providing additional support for controlling blood sugar levels and reducing inflammation. Coconut flakes and coconut oil offer healthy fats and add delicious flavor, while also aiding in hormone production and reducing inflammation.
By using natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup, this granola recipe avoids refined sugars that can exacerbate PCOS symptoms. These sweeteners help maintain stable blood sugar levels. The optional additions of dried cranberries or blueberries and dark chocolate chips provide antioxidants, additional flavor, and a mood-boosting effect. These ingredients, combined in this homemade granola recipe, offer a nourishing and delicious way to support your well-being and manage the symptoms of PCOS. Enjoy it as a topping for yogurt, smoothie bowls, or with your preferred milk as a healthy and satisfying breakfast option.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw almonds:
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional Additions: 1/4 cup dried cranberries or blueberries, 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips:
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (163°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rolled oats, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, chia seeds, and coconut flakes.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut oil. Add the honey (or maple syrup) and vanilla extract to the saucepan, stirring until well combined.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients in the bowl. Stir thoroughly until all the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Spread the granola mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, ensuring it's spread out in an even layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the granola turns golden brown. Stir the granola every 10 minutes to ensure even baking and prevent burning.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the granola cool completely. It will become crispy as it cools down.
- Once cooled, you can add optional dried cranberries, blueberries, or dark chocolate chips for added flavor and nutrients.
- Store the granola in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks. Enjoy it as a topping for yogurt, smoothie bowls, or with your preferred milk as a healthy breakfast option.