Grilled Lemon Herb Chicken Pitas
by Fran Jakubowicz on Jun 11, 2023
Easy to whip up and high in lean protein, this recipe is an excellent meal option. Prepare in advance by making the chicken and cutting the veggies earlier in the week, and keep the components separate until you’re ready to eat - and you’ve got yourself a quick and delicious dinner or lunch!
Also try our Kohlrabi Fries with Dipping Sauce.
- 1 pound of boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2 (6-inch) whole wheat pita breads, cut in half
- 1 cup of sliced cucumbers
- 1 cup of sliced bell peppers
- 1/2 cup of sliced red onions
- In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, dried oregano, dried thyme, salt, and black pepper. Add the chicken strips and toss to coat them in the marinade. Let the chicken marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat it with cooking spray. Cook the chicken strips for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until they are cooked through and golden brown. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
- Warm the pita breads in the skillet or grill pan for about 1 minute on each side.
- To assemble the pitas, spread a layer of sliced cucumbers, bell peppers, and red onions inside each pita half. Add the grilled chicken strips on top.